1. a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form.
2. someone or something that is abnormal or incongruous, or does not fit in; an anomalous person or thing: With his quiet nature, he was an anomaly in his exuberant family.
3. an odd, peculiar, or strange condition, situation, quality, etc.
4. an incongruity or inconsistency.
5. Astronomy. a quantity measured in degrees, defining the position of an orbiting body with respect to the point at which it is nearest to or farthest from its primary.
6. Meteorology. the amount of deviation of a meteorological quantity from the accepted normal value of that quantity.
7. Grammar, irregularity.
WORDS RELATED TO ANOMALY
deviation, abnormality, oddity, aberration, rarity, irregularity, inconsistency, exception, incongruity, departure, peculiarity, eccentricity, unorthodoxy, unconformity
See synonyms for: anomaly / anomalies on Thesaurus.com
SYNONYMS FOR ANOMALY
1, 2 abnormality, exception, peculiarity.
Origin: 1565–75; < Latin anomalia < Greek anomalía, equivalent to an?mal ( os ) anomalous + -ia -ia
EXAMPLE SENTENCES FROM THE WEB FOR ANOMALY
The reason for these conditions may be a rare climate anomaly that persisted for six years, new research indicates.
A CLIMATE ANOMALY MAY HAVE WORSENED THE 1918 PANDEMIC AND WWI|KATE BAGGALEY|SEPTEMBER 25, 2020|POPULAR SCIENCE
You can’t have these anomalies persist very long before someone figures it out.
THE ECONOMICS OF SPORTS GAMBLING (EP. 388 REBROADCAST)|STEPHEN J. DUBNER|AUGUST 20, 2020|FREAKONOMICS
Due to changes in immigration laws in the 1960s, it’s not much of an anomaly today.
THIS IMMIGRATION LAW HERALDED KAMALA HARRIS’S VP NOMINATION|DAN KOPF|AUGUST 19, 2020|QUARTZ
The anomaly was so marked that the region’s heat wave would represent a 1 in 100,000 year event — at least in a world without climate change, climate scientist Martin Stendel of the Danish Meteorological Institute in Copenhagen, tweeted on June 9.
A SIBERIAN TOWN HIT 100 DEGREES, SETTING A NEW RECORD FOR THE ARCTIC CIRCLE|CAROLYN GRAMLING|JUNE 23, 2020|SCIENCE NEWS