1. the formal activities conducted on some solemn or important public or state occasion: the coronation ceremony.
2. a formal religious or sacred observance; a solemn rite: a marriage ceremony.
3. formal observances or gestures collectively; ceremonial observances: The breathless messenger had no time for ceremony.
4. any formal act or observance, especially a meaningless one: His low bow was mere ceremony.
5. a gesture or act of politeness or civility: the ceremony of a handshake.
6. strict adherence to conventional forms; formality: to leave a room without ceremony.
7. stand on ceremony, to behave in a formal or ceremonious manner.
OTHER WORDS FROM CEREMONY
pre·cer·e·mo·ny, noun, plural pre·cer·e·mo·nies.
WORDS RELATED TO CEREMONY
function, observance, parade, service, show, rite, commemoration, formality, solemnity, ordinance, sacrament, custom, liturgy, tradition, ceremonial, pomp, protocol, form, propriety, decorum
See synonyms for: ceremony / ceremonies on Thesaurus.com
1, 2. Ceremony, rite, ritual refer to set observances and acts traditional in religious services or on public occasions. Ceremony applies to more or less formal dignified acts on religious or public occasions: a marriage ceremony; an inaugural ceremony. A rite is an established, prescribed, or customary form of religious or other solemn practice: the rite of baptism. Ritual refers to the form of conducting worship or to a code of ceremonies in general: Masonic rituals.
Origin: 1350–1400; Middle English ceremonie < Medieval Latin ceremonia, Latin caerimonia sacred rite; replacing Middle English cerymonye < Middle French cerimonie < Latin, as above
EXAMPLE SENTENCES FROM THE WEB FOR CEREMONY
The coronavirus had already altered the ceremony for Football Bowl Subdivision teams this past fall.
FOR THIS COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM, COVID MEANS THE SEASON STARTS IN FEBRUARY — WITH SENIOR DAY|GLYNN A. HILL|FEBRUARY 11, 2021|WASHINGTON POST
Once the dangers from the coronavirus pass and we can resume a semblance of our normal lives, I will be performing a cousin's wedding ceremony.
MISS MANNERS: DECLINING HELP FROM THE UNMASKED|JUDITH MARTIN, NICHOLAS MARTIN, JACOBINA MARTIN|FEBRUARY 8, 2021|WASHINGTON POST
The Weeknd accused the Recording Academy of being “corrupt,” and an unidentified source told Rolling Stone that his team had been given an ultimatum over his performing at the Super Bowl in proximity to the originally scheduled Grammys ceremony.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SUPER BOWL LV|SAM FORTIER|FEBRUARY 7, 2021|WASHINGTON POST
You don’t have to choose a particular type of dress or a particular type of ceremony.
HOW TO BE BETTER AT DEATH (EP. 450)|MARIA KONNIKOVA|FEBRUARY 4, 2021|FREAKONOMICS