Tinsel (noun, adjective, verb)
1. a glittering metallic substance, as copper or brass, in thin sheets, used in pieces, strips, threads, etc., to produce a sparkling effect cheaply.
2. a metallic yarn, usually wrapped around a core yarn of silk, rayon, or cotton, for weaving brocade or lamé.
3. anything showy or attractive with little or no real worth; showy pretense: The actress was tired of the fantasy and tinsel of her life.
4. Obsolete. a fabric, formerly in use, of silk or wool interwoven with threads of gold, silver, or, later, copper.
5. consisting of or containing tinsel.
6. showy; gaudy; tawdry.
verb (used with object)
7. to adorn with tinsel.
8. to adorn with anything glittering.
9. to make showy or gaudy.
OTHER WORDS FROM TINSEL
o·ver·tin·sel, verb (used with object), o·ver·tin·seled, o·ver·tin·sel·ing or (especially British) o·ver·tin·selled, o·ver·tin·sel·ling.
WORDS RELATED TO TINSEL
gaudy, swank, splashy, flamboyant, extravagant, classy, garish, jaunty, conspicuous, glittery, ostentatious, ornate, pretentious, sensational, tacky, sleazy, vulgar, golden, painted, sparkling
SYNONYMS FOR TINSEL
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Origin: 1495–1505; by aphesis < Middle French estincelle ( Old French estincele ) a spark, flash < Vulgar Latin *stincilla, metathetic variant of Latin scintilla scintilla; first used attributively in phrases tinsel satin, tinsel cloth
EXAMPLE SENTENCES FROM THE WEB FOR TINSEL
Hollywood sure hopes so, because the idea that disgruntled insiders could do this is terrifying to Tinsel Town.
PYONGYANG SHUFFLE: HOLLYWOOD IN DEAD PANIC OVER SONY HACK|JAMES POULOS|DECEMBER 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Tinsel, garland, and chestnut shells are the only combustibles on offer.
TWELVE UNUSUAL CHRISTMAS READS|STEFAN BECK|DECEMBER 25, 2011|DAILY BEAST
The 46-look collection consisted of drop-waist skirts, cellophane cocktail dresses, and translucent and tinsel fabrics.
MARC JACOBS'S ENTIRE SPRING / SUMMER 2012 COLLECTION STOLEN|ISABEL WILKINSON|NOVEMBER 16, 2011|DAILY BEAST
After a few opening songs, we broke up into small groups and hung wreaths and garlands and tinsel (oh my).
JESUS MADE ME A BETTER JEW|BENYAMIN COHEN|DECEMBER 24, 2008|DAILY BEAST