Veteran (noun, adjective)
vet·er·an [vet-er-uhn, ve-truhn]
1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force; a veteran of many sports competitions.
2. a person who has served in a military force, especially one who has fought in a war: a Vietnam veteran.
3. (of soldiers) having had service or experience in warfare: veteran troops.
4. experienced through long service or practice; having served for a long period: a veteran member of Congress.
5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of veterans.
OTHER WORDS FROM VETERAN
WORDS RELATED TO VETERAN
old-time, skilled, trained, pro, expert, vet, wise, versed, steady, adept, old, old-timer, trouper, warhorse, sourdough, hardened, not born yesterday, practical, practiced, proficient
SEE SYNONYMS FOR veteran ON THESAURUS.COM
Origin: 1495–1505; < Latin veteranus mature, experienced, equivalent to veter- (stem of vetus ) old + -anus -an
EXAMPLE SENTENCES FROM THE WEB FOR VETERAN
Their play, along with that of veterans Manny Machado and Eric Hosmer, has given the Padres the best performing collection of position players in baseball, according to FanGraphs’ WAR.
THE PADRES ARE GOING FOR IT|TRAVIS SAWCHIK|SEPTEMBER 2, 2020|FIVETHIRTYEIGHT
Chairman Urs Rohner turned to Thomas Gottstein, a two-decade Credit Suisse veteran, to restore investor confidence.
SWISS REGULATORS EXTEND PROBE INTO SPYING AT CREDIT SUISSE|KDUNN6|SEPTEMBER 2, 2020|FORTUNE
Coinbase announced on Monday that prominent venture capitalist Marc Andreessen is joining its board, alongside Gokul Rajaram, who is an executive at DoorDash and a veteran of Google and Square.
COINBASE SHUFFLES BOARD AHEAD OF RUMORED IPO, MARC ANDREESSEN JOINS AS OBSERVER|JEFF|AUGUST 31, 2020|FORTUNE
State authorities have identified the officer who shot Blake as Rusten Sheskey, a seven-year veteran of the Kenosha Police Department.
PROSECUTORS CHARGE TEEN IN FATAL SHOOTING OF TWO PROTESTORS AND WOUNDING OF A THIRD IN KENOSHA|KDUNN6|AUGUST 28, 2020|FORTUNE