1. a silly or stupid person; a person who lacks judgment or sense.
2. a professional jester, formerly kept by a person of royal or noble rank for amusement: the court fool.
3. a person who has been tricked or deceived into appearing or acting silly or stupid: to make a fool of someone.
4. an ardent enthusiast who cannot resist an opportunity to indulge an enthusiasm (usually preceded by a present participle): He's just a dancing fool.
5. a weak-minded or idiotic person.
verb (used with object)
6. to trick, deceive, or impose on: They tried to fool him.
verb (used without object)
7. to act like a fool; joke; play.
8. to jest; pretend; make believe: I was only fooling.
9. fool around,
a. to putter aimlessly; waste time: She fooled around all through school.
b. to philander or flirt.
c. to be sexually promiscuous, especially to engage in adultery.
10. fool away, to spend foolishly, as time or money; squander: to fool away the entire afternoon.
11. fool with, to handle or play with idly or carelessly: to be hurt while fooling with a loaded gun; to fool with someone's affections.
12. be nobody's fool, to be wise or shrewd.
OTHER WORDS FROM FOOL
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. simpleton, dolt, dunce, blockhead, numskull, ignoramus, dunderhead, ninny, nincompoop, booby, saphead, sap.
2. zany, clown.
5. moron, imbecile, idiot.
6. delude, hoodwink, cheat, gull, hoax, cozen, dupe, gudgeon.
Origin: 1225–75; Middle English fol, fool < Old French fol < Latin follis bellows, bag; cf. follis
EXAMPLE SENTENCES FROM THE WEB FOR FOOL
This might not fool a knowledgeable whiskey drinker, but how many of those desperate for Pappy are knowledgeable whiskey drinkers?
THE CULT OF PAPPY VAN WINKLE|ERIC FELTEN|DECEMBER 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
My exact words were to allow ‘any fool in the world with Internet access’ to freely modify any page on the site.
YOU CAN LOOK IT UP: THE WIKIPEDIA STORY|WALTER ISAACSON|OCTOBER 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And also probably because this fool stopped at a red light in the middle of an intersection.
THE AMANDA BYNES TRAIN WRECK IS BACK AGAIN, FOLLOWING A NEW DUI ARREST|KEVIN FALLON|SEPTEMBER 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
HPV is so transient because no form of safe sex is fool proof.
THE SILENT SHAME OF HPV|EMILY SHIRE|AUGUST 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Then nothing happens again and you fool around and fool around and – Wow!
UP TO A POINT: OOPS, I ENJOYED SOCCER|P. J. O’ROURKE|JULY 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And I've not only failed in nearly everything I undertook, but I've been a fool besides.
A YANKEE FROM THE WEST|OPIE READ
Jest because she don't care for gewgaws like you do, you think she's a fool.
THE GIRL FROM MONTANA|GRACE LIVINGSTON HILL
He began to covet this girl mightily, even while he told himself that he was a fool for his pains.
MAVERICKS|WILLIAM MACLEOD RAINE
“True; but you are yet a fool,” returned the wizard contemptuously.
RED ROONEY|R.M. BALLANTYNE
He would like to kill the fool who helped the Venetians to their arms.
THE SARACEN: LAND OF THE INFIDEL|ROBERT SHEA