- A Cold One – Beer
- Arvo – Afternoon
- Aussie Salute – Wave to scare the flies
- Barbie – Barbecue
- Bathers – Swimsuit
- Billabong – A pond in a dry riverbed
- Billy – Teapot (In the Outback on the fire)
- Booze Bus – Police vehicle used to catch drunk drivers
- Bottle-O – Bottle Shop, basically a place to buy alcohol
- Brekky – Breakfast
- Cobber – Very good friend. ‘Alright me ‘ol cobber’.
- Coldie – Beer. ‘Come over for a few coldies mate.'
- Daks – Trousers. ‘Tracky daks’ = sweatpants (tracksuit pants)
- Drongo – a Fool, ‘Don’t be a drongo mate’
- Dunny – Toilet
- Esky – An insulated container that keeps things cold (usually beers)
- Fair Dinkum – ‘Fair Dinkum?’ … ‘Fair Dinkum!’ = Honestly? … Yeah honestly!
- Flannie / Flanno – flannelette shirt
- Frothy – Beer
- G’day – Hello
- Galah – an Australian cockatoo with a reputation for not being bright, hence a galah is also a stupid person.
- Going off – busy, lots of people
- Manchester – Sheets / Linen etc. As someone who’s from England, finding a department within a shop called Manchester seriously confused me at first.
- Mozzie – Mosquito
- Servo – Service Station / Garage
- Snag – Sausage
- Sunnies – Sunglasses
- Swag – Single bed you can roll up, a bit like a sleeping bag.
- Thongs – Flip Flops. Do not be alarmed if your new found Australian friend asks you to wear thongs to the beach. They are most likely expressing their concern of the hot sand on your delicate feet.
Saturday words: Australian slang
Stonkered - adjective. Not to be confused with Internet meme word stonks, stonkered means to be in a state of completely exhaustion.
peroration [per- uh- rey-sh uhn] noun: 1 the concluding part of a speech or discourse, in which the speaker or writer recapitulates the…
Tuesday, Jun. 1, 2021 Nocturnal (adjective, noun) noc·tur·nal [nok-tur-nl] adjective 1. of or pertaining to the night (opposed to diurnal). 2.…