Larry's Pretty Good Word of the Day (prettygoodword) wrote in 1word1day,
Larry's Pretty Good Word of the Day

Thursday word: obvolute

obvolute (OB-vuh-loot) - adj., rolled or turned in; (Botany) (of a leaf or petal) having an edge that overlaps one neighbor and another overlapped another.

The implication for that second meaning being that all the leaves or petals are doing that -- so like a cardboard box where each flap is on top of one neighbor and under the other. In botany, can especially refer to when there is only two leafs so overlapped. This is, obviously, something that happens more in a bud than a flower. Adopted around 1750 from Latin obvolūtus, past participle of obvolvere, to cover by wrapping up (as in a burrito? I have to wonder), from ob-, on/over/against + volvere, to turn/roll (yes, as in Volvo the car).

She overlapped the obvolute dominoes in an circle.

Tags: adjective, latin, o

  • Tuesday word: Insouciance

    Tuesday, May 4, 2021 Insouciance (noun) in·sou·ci·ance [in-soo-see-uhns; French an-soo-syahns] I would suggest listening to how this word is…

  • Sunday Word: Sagacious

    sagacious [s uh- gey-sh uhs] adjective: 1 of keen and farsighted penetration and judgment, discerning 2 caused by or indicating acute…

  • Wednesday Word: Munificent

    Whew, another semester is in the can, which means I should be able to fulfill my wordy Wednesday duties until September! Munificent - adjective.…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded