ellesieg (ellesieg) wrote in 1word1day,

Tuesday Word: haplography

Haplography (hapˈläɡrəfē) refers to a particular type of hapless writing -- the omission of a repeated letter or letters, such as writing wod instead of wood or Missippi instead of Mississippi. It comes from the Greek haploos (single) and -graphy (writing).
Tags: greek, h, noun, wordsmith: ellesieg

  • Wednesday Word: Nîcîwâkan

    Nîcîwâkan - noun. Nîcîwâkan is a Cree word for friend. To hear the pronunciation along with four other Cree words, watch the video below!

  • Wednesday Word: Zugzwang

    Zugzwang - noun. Chess nerds and game lovers will recognize this word immediately--it's a German word describing the moment when you have to make…

  • Wednesday Word: Frustum

    Frustum - noun. Another lovely and unique word from the math and science world. Simply put, a frustum (plural frusta or frustums is a cone or…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment