ersatz_read (ersatz_read) wrote in 1word1day,

Monday word: troffer

troffer (trfr), noun.
An inverted trough serving as a support and reflector for a flourescent lighting unit.
Usually a troffer is recessed into the ceiling.

Etymology:  Blend of trough and coffer.  Dictionaries list the first known use as 1942, but h
ere's a 1940 ad on ebay (scroll about halfway down the page).
Most of the earliest references I've run across refer to Miller troffers, but I don't know if The Miller Company coined the word. 
Tags: noun, t, wordsmith: ersatz_read

  • Sunday Word: Cerulean

    cerulean [s uh- roo-lee- uhn] adjective: resembling the blue of the sky; a shade of blue ranging between azure and a darker sky blue…

  • Tuesday word: Proficient

    Thursday, June 6, 2013 Proficient (adjective, noun) pro·fi·cient [pruh-fish-uhnt] adjective 1. well-advanced or competent in any art, science,…

  • Tuesday word: Bourgeois

    Tuesday, July 6, 2021 Bourgeois (noun, adjective) bour·geois [boor-zhwah, boor-zhwah; French boor-zhwa] noun plural bour·geois 1. a member of…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded