Larry's Pretty Good Word of the Day (prettygoodword) wrote in 1word1day,
Larry's Pretty Good Word of the Day


miscomfrumple (mis-kum-FRUM-puhl) - v., to rumple, to crease.

This is outdated English slang of uncertain even era of currency. The example given in The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten by Jeffrey Kacirk is, "If one female sits too close to another as to rumple or crease her dress by pressing or sitting upon it, she is said to miscomfrumple it," supposedly from Northamptonshire, quoting a circa 1900 English dialect dictionary -- so a guess of 18th century is as good as any. It's also unknown origin of course, though clearly "rumple" had something to do with the matter. But all that's irrelevant in the face of just how fun it is to say. It's one of those words that sounds like what it means.

They said they'd spent the whole time studying, but I saw how the bedsheets were miscomfrumpled.

Tags: english, m, verb

  • Tuesday word: Ceremony

    Tuesday, Mar. 2, 2021 Ceremony (noun) cer·e·mo·ny [ser-uh-moh-nee] noun 1. the formal activities conducted on some solemn or important public or…

  • Sunday Word: Interlocutor

    interlocutor[in-ter- lok-y uh-ter] noun: 1 one who takes part in dialogue or conversation 2 the performer in a minstrel show who is placed…

  • Wednesday Word: Déraciné

    Déraciné - noun or adjective. You may know déraciné as the title of a video game, but this French word can also be used as an adjective or noun.…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded