origin: from Latin- mātrīcīdium (the act), mātrīcīda (the agent). See matri-, -cide
1. the killing of one’s mother.
2. a person who has killed his mother. — matricidal, adj.
Plus a handy list of additional words under the cut, so that you can keep all your murders straight~!
• Suicide = killing of one's self (possibly over family)
familial killing terms:
• Avunculicide = killing of one's uncle
• Filicide = killing of one's child
• Fratricide = killing of one's brother
• Mariticide = killing of one's spouse
• Nepoticide = killing of one's nephew
• Parricide = killing of one's parents or another close relative
• Patricide = killing of one's father
• Prolicide = killing of one's offspring
• Sororicide = killing of one's sister
• Uxoricide = killing of one's wife
non-familial killing terms from the same root:
• Deicide = killing of a god
• Genocide = killing of a large group of people, usually a specific and entire ethnic, racial, religious or national group
• Homicide = killing of any human
• Infanticide = killing of an infant from birth to 12 months
• Regicide = killing of a monarch (king or ruler)
• Tyrannicide = killing of a tyrant (2000)