ersatz_read (ersatz_read) wrote in 1word1day,


zarf, noun.  A holder, with handle, for a coffee cup without a handle.

The term comes from an Arabic word meaning container, sheath, or envelope.  It originally referred to an ornamental holder, often made of metal and decorated with filigree, engraving, or possibly gems.  Traditionally, the zarf served as functional adornment of the demitasse or finjan (small cup of Arabic or Turkish coffee):  protecting the cup and keeping fingers cool.

The word entered English in the nineteenth century.  By the 1970s, the definition had expanded to include less decorative items, such as the plastic holders of disposable paper cups.
Tags: arabic, noun, theme: food, wordsmith: ersatz_read, z

  • Thursday Word: Nosherai/Nosh

    This is a Yiddish slang term. "Nosherai" is the word for snack (it usually pertains to junk food). And "nosh" is a verb to…

  • Thursday Word: Bupkis

    Bubkis: Yiddish slang for ""nothing" or "worthless"

  • Thursday Word: Verklempt

    This comic is based on an actual conversaton I had with my sister. Definiton: A Yiddish word that means "overcome with emotion."…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded