July 11th, 2016

Monday word: scrieve

scrieve (skrēv) verb

To move along swiftly and smoothly.

Etymology:  An archaic Scots term; some dictionaries say it is related to Old Norse skrefa, to stride.

Apparently the word has another meaning in relation to shipbuilding.  The "mould loft" in a shipyard was a covered large wooden floor, suitable for laying out ship details in full size.  When the lines of the ship were drawn full-size on this floor, it was known as a "scrieve board".  It seems that it is sometimes called a "scribe board"; I'm not sure which of those terms came first.
Any boat-builders out there with more information?