1. Skiing. a downhill race over a winding and zigzag course marked by poles or gates.
2. any winding or zigzag course marked by obstacles or barriers, as one in which automobiles are tested for maneuverability or drivers for reaction time.
verb (used without object)
3. Skiing. to ski in or as if in a slalom.
4. to move in a winding or zigzag fashion; weave.
5. to follow a course with many twists and turns.
6. of, for, or designating a zigzag course with obstacles, barriers, or the like
Andrew and Chava slalomed down the hill as fast as they could, running in between trees and bushes to try to throw off the group of bandits that was pursuing them.
I've been reading the new Artemis Fowl book lately, and twice so far the author has used this word. Bad idea, in my opinion, but oh well. I just had no idea what it really meant, although I could get the general idea from the context. Well, there that is. Enjoy.